Custom Search

Saturday 30 October 2010

Noisy bearing on the Ferrari 308

Been a while since I've posted.

I started my GT4 up yesterday after about 3 weeks of not running it and got a kind of tinkling, clicking, rattling noise. Difficult to describe, but sounded like a well worn and/or dry ball bearing.

I did the cam belts about 18 months ago and fitted new non-genuine tensioner bearings. One of the tensioners I pulled off was free running - had that dry/loose bearing feel when you spun it - but I didn't know this until I pulled it off so it wasn't making any grumbling sounds. The two new bearings were as they should be with no spin-on if you held the inner race and tried to spin the outer. Thus I don't think it could be the tensioners - I'll be putting some Hill Engineering ones on though at the next belt change as they are pretty cheap really.

So the question - does this sound like worn out water pump bearing(s) or generator bearing(s)?

Finally, the sound can clearly be heard at the belts end but gets less and less and a few minutes after starting is gone. When I started the car today there was very little evidence of it - but it was still there a little just after start-up.

I'll pull the generator/pump belt tomorrow and start the engine and see. That should quickly eliminate it, although it seems to be more apparent the longer I leave the car between runs.

Neither the water pump or generator have been touched since I've owned the car (4 years) so they are my prime suspects.

Watch this space.

No comments: